Did you hear about the rose that grew
from a crack in the concrete?
Proving nature’s law is wrong it
learned to walk with out having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping its dreams,
it learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
when no one else ever cared.
- What do you think the rose is a metaphor for when you consider the life of Tupac?
- How does the author create contrast in the poem? Explain with reference to the text.
- ‘It learned to walk without having feet.’ What do you think that this means and what is Tupac referring to here?
- How did Tupac ‘prove nature’s law wrong?’
- ‘When no one else cared.’ What do you think that this line means?
- Give a personal response to the poem. (Did it make you think about anything or change your mind on something?